The application period for elective rotations for AY 24-25 has closed.
Please Note: We plan to offer 8 week global health elective rotations beginning in July 2024; however, these are subject to conditions at home and abroad and the HYC will work with Program Directors, Duke Travel, and the Global Travel Advisory Committee to determine the feasibility of these rotations.
Duke residents in the programs and PGY years listed below are invited to apply for an 8 week global health elective rotation:
- Internal Medicine (PGY 2)
- Pediatrics (PGY 2)
- Med-Peds (PGY3)
- Med-Psych (PGY 4)
- Neurology (PGY 3)
- Radiology (PGY 4)
- Family Medicine (PGY 2)
Applications are accepted the fall prior to the academic year during which the rotations occur.
These elective rotations provide a valuable and unique experience for our residents. Residents choose from a wide selection of global partner locations where they can provide clinical care to patients. Some locations only permit observation; however, many opportunities are available for residents to expand their teaching and lecturing skills.
How to Apply
Interested residents must provide:
- A completed application (available via Qualtrics here),
- Click here to preview the application
- A copy of your CV (upload via Qualtrics), and
- A statement from your Program Director giving you permission to apply
Please have your Program Director email the support statement to email@example.com
The FAQ sheet, Info flyer and Application Addendum, are available on Box here. Applications were due by September 4, 2023.
Placements are competitive and contingent upon the qualifications of the applicant and availability. We select residents for clinical/service rotations based on the following criteria:
- Academic preparation and strength;
- Evidence of maturity, responsibility, cultural sensitivity;
- Significance of pursuing a global health opportunity to further career goals;
- Preference for those who have demonstrated a commitment to global health issues, specifically in the developing world.