Brian Meier, MD, MSc-GH
Global Health Pathway Graduate
Fogarty International Clinical Research Fellowship Alumni
Dr. Brian Meier graduated from the Duke Emergency Medicine Global Health Fellowship in 2017 and earned his master of science in global health. He earned his MD at the Medical College of Wisconsin and completed his emergency medicine residency at Virginia Tech Carillion in 2015. Dr. Meier was awarded a Fogarty Global Health Research Fellowship for his work in Moshi, Tanzania at Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Center. His project, under the mentorship of Dr. Catherine Staton, developed and validated a culturally relevant pain scale in Kiswahili for use in patients with acute injury. His research interests include injury prevention and epidemiology, as well as pain management in traumatic injury. Dr. Meier is currently faculty at Virginia Tech Carilion in Roanoke, VA.
GHP Project Related Publications
- Nickenig Vissoci, J.R., E. Krebs, B. Meier, I.F. Vieira, L. de Andrade, F. Byiringiro, S. Rulisa, and C.A. Staton, Road traffic crash experience among commercial motorcyclists in Kigali, Rwanda. Int J Inj Contr Saf Promot, 2020. 27(2): p. 181-187.
- Meier, B.J., D. El-Gabri, K. Friedman, M. Mvungi, B.T. Mmbaga, J.R. Nickenig Vissoci, and C.A. Staton, Perceptions of alcohol use among injury patients and their family members in Tanzanian society. Alcohol, 2020. 83: p. 9-15.
- Meier, B. and C. Staton, Sepsis Resuscitation in Resource-Limited Settings. Emerg Med Clin North Am, 2017. 35(1): p. 159-173.
- El-Gabri, D., J.R.N. Vissoci, B.J. Meier, M. Mvungi, M. Haglund, M. Swahn, B.T. Mmbaga, C.J. Gerardo, and C.A. Staton, Alcohol stigma as it relates to drinking behaviors and perceptions of drink drivers: a mixed method study in Moshi, Tanzania. Alcohol, 2020.
- El-Gabri, D., L.K. Barcenas, B. Meier, M. Mvungi, M. Haglund, C.J. Gerardo, J.R.N. Vissoci, and C.A. Staton, Injury patients’ perceptions of drink-driving: A qualitative assessment of drink-driving behavior in Moshi, Tanzania. PLoS One, 2020. 15(5): p. e0230662.